Friday, February 6, 2009

Fantasy Garage: MX-5 Miata

Car: Mazda MX-5 Miata
Options: Touring trim, Suspension Package
Price after options: $25, 100

Ah yes, a third coupe for my fantasy garage.  The Miata has been one of the all time bench marks for superb handling.  The only company that comes close to matching the sublime Miata is Porsche, and I would be remiss to not mention Lotus here as well.  But the cheapest cars from both of those companies start at double the price of the Miata.  This makes the Miata not only a handling gem, but a smiles-per-dollar satisfier!

I will admit that I was tempted to choose the RX-8 over the Miata here, but there are a few things that held me back and one was NOT price.  The RX-8 uses a rotary engine, allowing it to rev higher than most cars ever feel comfortable.  This however comes with a few draw backs: reduced fuel economy and increase oil thirst.  Those aside, it might have made its way into the garage, and it still might, but for now the spot goes to the Miata.

Something else that I should mention since I have been in one of these: the top.  The convertible top on the Miata is so easy to put up and take down.  One arm reaches back and pulls it up, done.  Latches and such, but that's it!  And to make matters better, the top folds right behind the seats, so there is no loss of trunk space!  Though the twins from GM might go faster and look cooler (Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky) they have no trunk, top up or down.  I know.  I've seen it.  I wouldn't store a sandwich in one of their trunks, but I would put luggage in the back of a Miata.

Money left in "Fantasy Garage Account": $319, 670

No comments:

Post a Comment