Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fantasy Garage: G8 GXP

Car: Pontiac G8 GXP
Options: None (even though I should pony up the cash for the manual, I won't)
Price After Options: $35, 295 (this includes a $3, 000 discount that is stated on GM's website)

This week has been an epic fail for GM.  They have shut down their performance division, they have decided to end Saturn, Saab is filing for bankruptcy in Sweden, Pontiac is being shrunk to a niche brand, and they still need more money from the government.

In light of all this I have been trying to decide what car I should add to the Garage this week.  My thoughts have run from Subaru to Cadillac to BMW, but what I really wanted was the BMW M5 without the iDrive or the Cadillac CTS-V without the "look at me" grill.  And then I remembered the bargain G8 GXP or the poor man's M5.

Now, before I decided on the G8 GXP I did consider the last generation Pontiac GTO, which was not a huge success, but was fast.  And in considering this I thought about what the garage was: was it a collection of awesome cars that can be purchased or a collection of new cars.  I think we all know which one I chose (new).

So here we have the best Pontiac turned out since the GTO and it comes just as the brand and the platform it is based on is discontinued.  But let us for a second pretend this isn't happening.

The car corners like the best German sports cars and is blisteringly fast.  Plus it doesn't break the bank, and in this economy they can be had for real cheap.

The interior is upscale for GM, which isn't saying much, but is a step up and almost par for the price range.  This car is the one I would drive to have fun when the time called for 4 doors and the mini-van was just too big.

If you are in the market for a large sports sedan on a budget, the G8 should be on your list.  If it is not, test drive it to humor me and then reconsider your short list.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mine would be in red, cause grey/silver is just too damn boring.

Money left in "Fantasy Garage Account": $253, 939

No comments:

Post a Comment