Thursday, March 5, 2009

Movie Review: Aliens

So I might have watched this over the weekend/last Friday and never wrote about it.

And then I finished my midterms!  Oh wait, did I say it again?  Silly me.

But even though it has been a week since I saw this, doesn't mean it isn't any less fresh in my mind.  This movie drops the suspenseful horror of the original and amps up the special effects, action, and science fiction.  All with wonderful results, IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

So I haven't done this in a while, I guess this is where I used to summarize the story, huh? We last left Ripley floating through space in stasis.  Turns out she floated around for like 60 years and her old bosses are less than pleased that she blew up her last ship and its cargo.  She tells them about the alien and the planet and they say "Oh, you mean the one we are Terra forming?"  People find the aliens, and now they are dead and there are tons (less than a hundred) of aliens running willie nillie over the Terra station.  She is sent with a bunch of marines to investigate and shit hits the fan in the only way they can when people go into a situation with unknown aliens.  Long story short: Ripley is still a bad ass and the aliens have got nothing on her...cause they're dead...again.

There is a lot of character growth of Ripley in this one from post-traumatic stress disorder to full fledged bad ass.  Weaver does a great job and the use of puppets instead of CGI makes everything so much more believable.  Though I am a huge whore for special effects, there are times when they are over used.

Wow, I just said that...moving on!

For those of you that liked the first, this is the same, just with guns and less suspense (sort of, it seems more forced in this sequel).  It is a fine step up from the first and keeps you engaged throughout.  The last movie I saw that I enjoyed as much as this (in the same vein of action/sci-fi) was Doom, which didn't have the acting or story that made this film really shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment