Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Spinning Opis' Tires

Today we got a little bit of an ice storm here in University land. It started like most do: couple inches of snow turning to sleet turning to freezing rain turning to rain.

In the end everything was coated in a nice layer of ice...and not an inconsequential amount either! So since I was parked on the wrong side of the street for tomorrow's alternate side parking bs, I had to move the ole girl.

So I went about with my normal turn the car into an oven and every thing ice-wise just sorta falls away. After I had done this I decided to drive around the block to let the engine do more than heat up and then get cold.

I quickly found that the traction control was more of a hindrance than a driving aid, so it went off. The reason I did this was because the system cuts power when the wheels are slipping. The whole "wheels that slip to the wheels that grip" ideal. Except when none of the wheels grip you just cut power to the whole car. So turning off the TC allows the wheels to slip and search for grip more and use what little grip they have.

So I took advantage of the situation to drive around town and experience first hand the worst driving conditions imaginable...for experience, ya know?

After driving around for a bit I decided to park in my snow and ice drenched drive-way. Which was followed by the realization that if I ever EVER wanted to drive again for the rest of the winter I shouldn't park there.

After fucking around for a few minutes I was close to giving up and then remembered back to something I learned way back when..."rock the car"...

So I rocked the car forward and backward. Using the momentum and quick clutch drops to push myself out. I was stuck with one final spot, but luckily my friend Ross came by and with his man-O-steel arms pushed me out and I was able to drive my house-mate to get food to feed himself!

And the driving was excellent, due to practice of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment