Friday, April 23, 2010

I was losing @ COD: MW2 so i decided to blog

So I saw this movie a while back: The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer, staring Carry Grant (love Carry Grant) and a very teenage Shirley Temple. It's about how this teenage girl falls in love with this artist and comedy ensues. The one thing I had never understood was what exactly a "bobby soxer" was exactly. And this week the term came up again in Reefer Madness and I thought it was time to look it up!

Wikipedia says the term was coined to denote over-zealous, impressionable, adolescent-teenage girls. It came from the bobby socks that they wore during school and especially school dances. Since the gym floors were (and still are) easily scuffed by shoes, dances were usually held in your socks (thus a "sock hop").

Pretty interesting, huh? I wonder if an equivalent term exists today? Jail-bait?

Anyway, bobby-soxer got me thinking about another term I had always used and never know the background of: lollygagger. It is a slang term that means a lazy person or someone who fools around. I'd always heard it in the context of "Quit lollygagging and get going!" Apparently, according to the ever credible Urban Dictionary, the term comes from kids eating lolly pops (the lolly part) and never taking them out of their mouths while they were eating them they'd just sit with them in their mouths (the gagging part) and not do anything productive.

So there! Interesting huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment