Thursday, June 24, 2010

115 Days to Acadia: why I hate running in the morning

Distance: 4 miles
Total Time: 42.08
Pace: 10.32

So yesterday I went running with a friend of mine in the morning. It was the first time since crew sophomore year where I had done a workout in the morning after having done one the previous afternoon. Needless to say I was less than pleased to be waking up at 7 to go running in the hot sun.

You see, in the mornings the sun, especially in the summer, is already out and only getting higher. So not only are you continuously losing shadow, but you are gaining heat. Not a fun combination. "But isn't the race at 8AM? Won't that be morning?" Well yes, but then I will have gone to bed at like 10PM the night before and gotten up super early and be ready to go.

Yesterday was not that case.

Additionally, my friend is a slower runner than I which is one of the reasons the pace was so slow. I was groggy, tired, hot, and sore, but even then the pace felt slow. Today I hope to complete a quick (quick being a relative term of course) 8 mile jog, which will make my mile total for the week 18.5, an ok mileage, but going forward I'm going to need some more!

Well, we'll see how this afternoon goes.

Oh! Also, I now have a new reason to graduate on time: a 1962 Pontiac Tempest Le Mans Convertible. My mom's boss has one that has been siting in his garage for around a decade and I explained to her that (not this coming winter/spring) next summer/fall I should have a job and that by the winter/spring of 2012 I should have enough money to buy it off of him if he still has it.

One more reason to finish my research and get a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment